NHVR – Carriage and presentation of documents

What do you need to carry in the cab?

The cabin of your truck doesn’t need to be a filing cabinet. Overall and over time, the NHVR wants to minimise the paperwork and administrative burden you face in your day-to-day work.

Visit the NHVR links below for two new publications that make it easier to work out what you need to carry in your vehicle. As NHVR harmonise notices across the country, they’ll continue to cut the number of documents that need to be carried.

Carriage and presentation of documents bulletin (PDF) provides a summary of the most common transport documents and indicates if they need to be carried or not. It also specifies what documents can be carried as an electronic copy and how they must be stored and presented.

Notices that must be carried fact sheet (PDF) is a complete list of all the gazette notices that you must still carry. This list will be updated each time a notice is created or amended.

Source: NHVR Compliance and Enforcement Bulletin October 2014

Access and Inclusion for all.

We at Alltruck Driver Training consider it our civic duty to ensure that all customers are given a fair go, and we seek to remove barriers to education, such as disabilities.

We had a client approach us who was involved in a motorcycle accident a few years back, which rendered his left arm and hand immobile.

The client has strict licence conditions requiring that he:

(a) must only drives automatic vehicles;
(b) must only drives vehicle fitted with power steering;
(c) must only drives vehicle fitted with a steering wheel spinner knob attached; and
(d) must only drives vehicle fitted with an extended indicator switch.

Providing the licensing authority would allow the test to take place, we would set out to facilitate access.  We established that the client was not eligible for an HVCBA licence program, and was required to sit a Driver Test with the licensing authority.  The booking was made, and we put our plan into action.

Today we took great pleasure in helping our client succeed in achieving a Heavy Rigid (HR) licence.

Well done (identity withheld for privacy reasons)

Classes of heavy vehicles fact sheet – NHVR law

The Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL) provides for three classes of heavy vehicle as a means of managing the different access requirements of different types of heavy vehicles. Some, but not all, jurisdictions had similar classes under previous legislation.

The Classes of heavy vehicles in the HVNL fact sheet (PDF, 1.6MB)illustrates some common examples from the three different classes of heavy vehicles under the HVNL.

Vehicle classes appear in permits, notices and other NHVR publications and this fact sheet can be used as a quick reference tool for drivers, operators, operation managers and your customers.

Source: NHVR

1-tonne tri-axle mass transfer allowance

The 1-tonne tri-axle mass transfer allowance (1TMTA) has commenced.

The 1TMTA permits heavy vehicle operators, working under General Mass Limits (GML), to load each tri-axle group with up to one tonne more than otherwise permitted, provided the mass limits across the vehicle’s non-steer axle groups are decreased by an equivalent amount – and never by more than a one tonne offset on any of the reduced-limit axle groups.

This does not permit any increase to the vehicles maximum total mass, but grants more flexibility in how that mass can be distributed across axle groups.

Vehicles operating under the 1TMTA do not need to be identified by a sticker or any other means and there is no requirement for drivers to carry any specific 1TMTA documentation.

Read the 1-Tonne Tri-Axle Mass Transfer Allowance fact sheet (PDF, 1MB)to ensure you understand the conditions of the 1TMTA and how it works.

Source: NHVR